There is a reason for every small thing that happens in our lives...there is a reason to go back where all started

As usual, when events in my life seem even slightly related, I try to make sense of the reason why A led to B, B led to C, and so forth. So if I decided to trace back my journey in Indonesia, I will come with the following equation:
 

 
Fatimatuzzahro orphanage (Semarang)...


...led to SD Muhammadiyah Semoya...


which was followed by TK Aisyiyah Bustanul Athfal, Semoya (Yogyakarta)...

 

...where I ''accidentally'' met with a representative of SOS Children's Villages who offered and helped me visit the Family Based Care facilities in Semarang the day after my first visit of Fazza orphanage after the project ended in July. So, how do these institutions relate to each other in my personal account and what role do they play in the life of the parties involved? What does SOS precisely do? With the Children's Villages concept, SOS pioneers an approach to the care of orphaned and abandoned children by ensuring they belong to a family of a loving and caring mother.
So, going back to my blog post, dating July 14th, where I contemplate over what I saw, gained, and missed during my experience in Fazza, I came to the realization that the events in my life unfolded precisely in this manner as I needed inspiration (gained in Fazza) in order to search for a solution (offered by the concept adopted by Children's Villages) and to put it into practise.
As I pointed out back then, the problem in Fazza is that "the kids have no role model to follow; there is no mom's role to show them they have to clean on a regular basis, to respect each others privacy." And this is exactly why SOS proves so successful - as it provides lone children with the most integral - a loving mother who can instill in them a sense of belonging, trust, accountability, and hope.
Now that my project in SD is approaching its end due to holidays and exam preparation, I am certain that I want to go back to Fazza and try to emulate at least 1% of SOS Children's Villages' know-how and methodology in order to instill more confidence in the children who apparently are not ready to face the real world by themselves. Indeed, the security offered by the life in the orphanage is a real double-edge sword. The children feel safe, growing up amongst equals in an environment of understanding but when the time comes when they have to expose themselves to the outside world, they feel afraid to leave the comfort zone created by the safe environment.
What do I need and want to know before making any attempt to approach the kids, the majority of which are already teenagera? How, in a limited amount of time, to show them they mean something to someone? How to make them feel being loved and cared for?
Insight and advise - highly appreciated!
 
 

 

Comments

Popular Posts