Second scores the time OFF work, ON the road

When the work camp is over I gotta pack and go on an exploration tour, starting July 24th till August 17th. Now is the moment to do the research and determine the goal of my travel which will automatically help me set my itinerary. Here I will share collected thoughts, ideas, suggestions, recommendations, stamps, love letters about my travel plans and intentions.
What do I want to get out of this trip? Depending on what I am going to get from my stay in the village close to Semarang and in Yogyakarta, I will select the places that would offer me quite different experience. I will certainly be exposed to rural settings, temples, and extreme living conditions.
If I take the route from Jakarta to Bali I would see first the modern, fast-paced side of Indonesia which will partially exhaust me so that at the end of my trip I will guiltlessly and carelessly be able to rest on the beaches of Bali, pondering over what I have seen.

The split of topics of my journey would be the following: Nature, Culture (traditions included), Religion, Food, Humanitarian cause and I will add more bullet points when an idea comes to my mind. A good way to decide what you want to visit is to write down in Google the place you are going to (ex: Indonesia, Jakarta, Bali, etc.) and select category "News." Only then can you see what is hot and popular in the area.

Food
  • To try something exotic (like a snake) and to learn how to prepare one of the national dishes. By the way, I feel like I won't experience any problem getting used to the local food (especially after my improvisation with food and the imaginative dishes I usually prepare for myself, like soy bean in rice milk or rice with chopped mango).

Culture
  • To get a feeling of how Indonesian people look at life - what they perceive is the meaning of life and what role they are meant to play as human beings
  • To define the words and the kind of smell that best describe Jakarta, Yogyakarta, Semarang, and Bali
  • Explore the cultural heritage of each area (especially the ones proclaimed by UNESCO) - how is local culture expressed and manifested, through tangible or intangible means?

Religion
  • To meet with a dukun/ shaman/ (I need to read Modern Trends in Islamic Theological Discourse in 20th Century Indonesia) so as to get an idea of the contemporary role of the shaman in today's Indonesia.
  • To visit Istiqlal (Jakarta's largest mosque), Kubah Emas Mosque
  • Learn more about Confucianism and its main principles and rituals
  • Visit Buddhist temples
  • Attend traditional/ religious ceremony
Humanitarian
  • To visit many local orphanages, centers for kids with disabilities
  • To visit a Montessori/ Waldorf school/ kindergarten
Nature
Other
  • Ride a motorcycle
  • Visit an alleged sweatshop
  • Try surfing
I have to decide on something I want to collect from each city so that I can have a small collection at the end.

Comments

Popular Posts